Post Croix - Monza GSE

Bstardchild

Message par Bstardchild »

I needed to leave part of the original bulkhead in place because I want to use the Commodore heater box and demist pipework (track cars with no heaters aren’t much fun on a wet track day)

From inside

From outside

Inner wing rails have been removed at the bulkhead joint by drilling out the spot welds (never like that job)

Finished up the back end too

Bstardchild

Still plodding along but I think I have a rough idea of what I need to lift now, bathroom scales under each wheel in turn

Pass side rear 105 kgs
Drivers side rear 103 ks
Pass side front 25 kgs
Drivers side front 25 kgs

Dolly it sits on is approx 65 kgs based on 2kg a foot for the steel used plus the wheels

So the shell should be somewhere around 190 to 200 kg unless you can't calculate it roughly the way I have.....
Bstardchild

A whole weekend welding up trim holes.

Remove paint, use punch and hammer to provide a dent where the hole is, miggy miggy, flap disc down, then linish smooth.

And repeat again and again and again 48 times to be exact. Actually a few needed a 2nd go so lets say nearly 50!!!

I made the mistake of not doing this on the Monza when I de-trimmed it and little holes get bigger fast even when hidden by plastic windows.

Well not the only thing I did but pretty much the major activity

Seam welding the sills in the door shuts as they weren't and it annoyed me.

Grinding back the last of the rear chassis rails - cleaning up the edges of the wheel tubs to a nice even gap

De-constructing the front end to remove the radiator support from it as the Monza already has one of them and the rad support holes are in the right place on that one.

All of this took way way longer than normal because I decided that I would make an attempt to use up my large pile of part used flap discs (40,60 and 80 grit most unable to be identified as the labels buzzed off) I think in total I had close to 20 used ones as some times you need to use a new one for a clean edge or for speed (new ones go thro metal fast) or because you have the wrong grade for what you need to do and the half used ones end up not going back on.

So after a weekend of grinding and only having used one new one (yeah sometimes you just have to use a new one) my pile of part used ones has shrunk dramatically and the number in the bin that are totally spent clearly shows just how many.

Oh and while back I found out the drivers door had a crease in it "wagged up" to the window edge with filler well that crease also extends to the rear quarter which again was "wagged up" to nearly the window line with filler - so I turned my garage into a winter wonderland scene (again)
Bstardchild

Part 1
I've found a replacement for the glue that didn't keep the tiles stuck to a space shuttle, unfortunately you'll need to go back to Opel in 1972 for find the recipe...........

It's whatever they used to stick the sound deadening material to the roof

Zip wheels just heat it up and spread it around

Every solvent in my cupboards has been thrown at it and they all have a similar effect to a zip wheel - ie sort of melt it but allow it to be spread thinner over a bigger area and even harder to remove

It was even stuck to surface rust and I managed to remove the rust but not the glue

A club member suggested thinners and as I don't paint anything yet I think I'll get some and see how that handles it!!!
Part 2
Thinners is for winners......

Had to resort to painting it on, repeatedly and then after it had softened up, using a sharp wallpaper scrapped to lift the majority.

Then apply more thinners and follow up with scotchbrite again soaked in thiners

Hit the surface rust with a zip wheel followed by my last strip disc and I had a surface I could paint. So I did, two coats of primer and it looks so much better.

Painting now because I'm not going to be able to do it when the roll cage is in the way.

High as a kite now.........
Oh and I need to re-paint my garage floor as it appears that thinners is very good at bubbling floor paint...... Needed doing anyway once this project is done.
Poor lighting - crappy phone camera - not my best composition but I know you guys like pictures
Mycroft

Message par Mycroft »

I really enjoy the way you're telling us your story ! :jap:
After you finished your car, i'll take next turn, you working on mine :muah:
"Si la connerie était une forme d'énergie gratuite, je pourrais dire sans le moindre doutes que l'on en manquerait certainement jamais ... Elle est inépuisable"
-- Christopher PIRSON
Bstardchild

Mycroft a écrit : mer. 17 juin, 2015 14:51I really enjoy the way you're telling us your story ! :jap:
After you finished your car, i'll take next turn, you working on mine :muah:

Merci Mycroft, I think maybe it doesn't always translate so well, roast beef humour.

After this one is finished I have another Monza to do so might be some time before I can do yours.

The next Monza is a proper restoration rather than a cut and shut, although I do have to replace the roof as it's been rolled (not by me many years ago on a rally stage)
Dernière modification par Bstardchild le mer. 17 juin, 2015 20:37, modifié 1 fois.
Mycroft

Message par Mycroft »

You're welcome !

I fully understand your joke :jap:
"Si la connerie était une forme d'énergie gratuite, je pourrais dire sans le moindre doutes que l'on en manquerait certainement jamais ... Elle est inépuisable"
-- Christopher PIRSON
Bstardchild

Mycroft a écrit : jeu. 18 juin, 2015 14:26You're welcome !

I fully understand your joke :jap:

Thanks for you PM - it's clear you do :mouah:
SleeperStyle

Message par SleeperStyle »

Yeah... that's interesting to follow you :bien:

Nice job, interesting explanations, keep going ! :)

Are you going to use repair panels ? Or rebuild the floor/floor girders with metal sheets ?

Mieux vaut un bon travers qu'un mauvais tout droit.
Bstardchild

SleeperStyle a écrit : jeu. 18 juin, 2015 18:38Yeah... that's interesting to follow you :bien:

Nice job, interesting explanations, keep going ! :)

Are you going to use repair panels ? Or rebuild the floor/floor girders with metal sheets ?

Already have floor and girders on the Monza Baja buggy :muah:
Répondre